Saturday, January 4, 2014

Why is it wrong to say black?

I am a white woman, well actually, rather a tanned creamy colored woman, with American Indian and Irish ancestors.

I have friends from all across the color lines, nationalities, and heritages.

But no one is willing to answer my questions about being Black or African American.


Very few Black people in this country are actually FROM Africa. yes, I know that there are some, but the majority of those who call themselves African Americans are actually from Africa. They may be generations removed from Africa, but we are talking multiple generations.

Slavery ended over 100 years ago. The Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order issued by President Abraham Lincoln on January 1, 1863.

When did it become wrong to call someone black? Brown? So many other colors?

When someone is pointing me out in a crowd, they may describe me as "That white woman over there with the long blonde hair, slightly pudgy, wearing the red shirt".

Why is it then wrong for me to say that "Jo is the black woman over there, with the close cropped Afro hair, slightly pudgy, wearing the red shirt"?

Again I ask, why is it wrong to call someone black?

If you are from America you are an American. Period. In my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment